Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Learning to manage stress better

I usually do not have any trouble with sleeping. I often thought I had a gift of sleeping well and soundly every night. Lately, I haven't been sleeping all that well. I think it caught up with me last night. I felt pretty exhausted while watching tv and thought I would just take a small nap. I ended up taking a 3 hour nap, then getting up and going to bed at 10 and sleeping the whole night through. I feel very well rested now. I think I have gotten too much sleep. I am happy about it, but I didn't get any exercise in last night and I went far over with my points. In times of stress I don't try to lose weight, I just try to maintain. I hope I can maintain this week but it is looking like I will have a slight gain. The kind of gain I have every other week. I have been in this pattern of losing 2 pounds, gaining 2 pounds...losing a pound....etc.

It is pretty frustrating that I was doing so well with exercising, then suddenly encountered stress that has completely thrown me off. I just wish I dealt with stress better. My goal apart from living a healthy lifestyle with eating well and exercising is now finding ways of dealing with stress better. I think yoga is a great step towards reducing my stress..but I have to admit that it is expensive. I am not sure if I can afford to do it always and that is what stops me from practicing it on a regular basis. I have tried to do yoga books and dvds on my own, but the only true method for me is doing it at a class. Other ways I am reducing my stress is by making more of an effort to pay down my debt. Those two things are what I have now...and I hope to find more ways in the future. I hope that these two things alone help me to grow more as a person and deal with stress in a more constructive way. I will never be perfect, but I always find the need for growth.

No comments: