Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Vacation and a puppy

I am back, I totally took an impromptu vacation due to the fact that we adopted a puppy! So with the Easter vacation I got from work I took another 3 days off. That was the greatest because I got to spend a lot of time with the puppy. I am okay with being back to work today and I really need to get back into my routine. I wasn't all that great with eating and exercising during my vacation. Even though I had over a week off, exercising was not at the top of my list of things to do. I wish that would of been different but I can't go back and do it over again. I am a little frightened about weighing myself tomorrow, but I will anyway. I have been at really high numbers lately and Sunday didn't help. We made pot roast, Yorkshire pudding and these millionaire shortbread things we saw on food network. They were all butter and very decadent. I am crossing my fingers for my weigh in tomorrow, but even though I will be shocked by the number I know I can get it back off. I can! This article was helpful for me to read from Bob Greene and his Best Life newsletter.

  • Holidays are a treat: Passover and Easter are a time to connect with loved ones and celebrate as a family. But you know what's not so sweet? The sinking feeling that you may have overdone it with chocolate/jelly beans/Matzo balls/[insert other high-calorie indulgence here]. Don't be discouraged! A few days or even a week of less-than-perfect eating won't derail you.


  • Although the scale may inch up during or after a holiday, keep in mind that weight fluctuations are perfectly normal. To gain an actual pound of body fat, you'd have to consume a lot of calories: 3,500 to be exact—and this is on top of what you normally eat in a given day. And even if the number on the scale does climb, that doesn't always mean that you've gained actual body fat. When you step on a scale, you're weighing muscle, bone, body fat, water (one gallon weighs eight pounds), undigested food, and waste that your body hasn't eliminated yet.


  • And don't forget that some foods weigh more, even when they don't provide more calories. For example, one half cup of black beans weighs about three ounces, but one tablespoon of olive oil only weighs about one-half ounce, even though they have the same number of calories. If you eat foods that are "heavier" due to their water or fiber weight, you may weigh more on the scale until all of the food has been digested and the waste has been eliminated.


  • So don't stress about what or how much you ate. Instead, focus on getting back on track with your workouts and healthy-eating plan.

No comments: