Monday, October 6, 2008

Aversion therapy

It's Monday and I feel pretty well rested. I had a good Sunday, filled with baking cookies (my second weekend in a row). Last week I made oatmeal raisin and this weekend it was peanut butter. I liked both quite a lot and I find baking enjoyable in the fall and winter months. I like it, but it isn't the best thing for someone who has a hard time stopping themselves from eating sweets. Yes, I ate a lot of cookies both times I made them...but I had to ask myself, "Why do I not make cookies?" And the answer was because they don't fit into my healthy eating plan and I am trying to lose weight. But, I enjoy baking and this is my eating plan for the rest of my life...so am I never going to be able to make cookies ever again? That would suck, so I decided whenever I really, really want to make cookies..I am going to. I just don't want to make a habit of making them every week. I sometimes think that if I just bake them as much as I want, then I will slowly get myself away from the need of eating so many of them. I do wonder about that...but not sure if I would want to test that out yet.

I have to say that this sort of aversion therapy really helped me with candy eating. The 1 candy bar everyday thing really did make me not care about candy being around so much. When I see a bowl, I sometimes take it..but it isn't a need anymore. I felt like before I needed to eat large amounts of candy..now I know I can pick up a candy bar at any time...and is the one in the bowl the one I would choose? Most of the time it is NO.

No comments: